Tuesday, June 10, 2008

In the Beginning...

I felt like a teacher for the first time today. Yes, I have yet to interact with the kids. Yes, the amount of things I need to learn is beyond staggering. Yes, I am so exhausted that I was kind of unaware I could feel anything... But despite all this, when I went to the Resource Room on campus today and checked out three books to start lesson planning, I really felt like a teacher. Was it amazing? Sort of. I'm too cynical to be truly moved by all the super-duper feelings that run rampant here at Institute, which may or may not be to my detriment. But it was cool nonetheless.

Let me back up. I realize I've done a shoddy job of keeping everyone informed on the specifics of what I'm doing this summer. Institute is Teach for America's massive teacher boot camp. For five weeks, future Corps Members from Atlanta, Charlotte (that's me!), Memphis, Jacksonville, Eastern North Carolina, and Miami-Dade descend on the Georgia Tech campus in the heart of Atlanta and work absolutely grueling hours in the aim of helping to close the nation's achievement gap. The official TFA literature puts the purpose/mission into much better words than I can, so I encourage you to do a bit of Googling if you're so inspired...

Anyway, at Institute this summer, we not only learn, we teach. I found out yesterday I'll be teaching 5th grade reading at an Atlanta summer school starting on Monday. The nuances of what exactly I'll be teaching are still a bit murky, but I will have real, live students in my classroom, and I'll be the one they're looking to for inspiration and instruction. In a word: Yikes.

Because I want to give you the most accurate picture (and because I want you to feel sorry for me), here is a typical daily schedule for this first week:
  • 5:30 am (yes, ante meridian): Wake up. The only times I have ever been awake this early include those rare nights when I just didn't sleep at all and the occasional morning flight. Do I have the willpower to drag myself out of bed before the sun is up? Hardly. But if we miss the bus, we have to pay for our own cab to the school. Suffice it to say that my stinginess just barely edges out my tiredness. For now, at least. Let it also be known that 5:30 is cutting it really close (duh), and many people are waking up at 5 am or earlier. Ouch.
  • 5:45 am: Eat breakfast. Why, yes, I *do* get ready in fifteen minutes. I have finally learned the importance of preparing for the morning before I go to bed. This might be because I am not coherent enough at 5:30 am to pick out an outfit, let alone pack up my materials.
  • 6:15 am: Load the bus. Don't even get me started on this. The bus has yet to leave before 6:30, though we've been told time and time again that the doors will mercilessly shut on any and everyone at 6:15 sharp.
  • 7 am (ish): Arrive at school. It's a beautiful building, though perhaps more structurally complicated than that Escher-esque room at the end of Labyrinth.
  • 7:15 am - 4:30 pm: Work. It's nearly bedtime now and these nine hours deserve a proper unpacking, so I'm going to fudge this section a little bit. If I ever find the motivation to update this blog, you better believe I'll detail what's going on during this time. As a brief summary, we're spending time learning about TFA's mission and how best to implement it in the schools this summer and fall. We get time to plan our lessons and all that, which is great, but there are severe flaws in the system. I spent a good 40 minutes today detailing said flaws in an email to the School Director that might never get sent, but we'll see. They're working hard and they're working us hard, and I just want to make sure our limited time is being spent well. Is that too much to ask? Who knows...
  • 4:30 pm - 5:45 pm: Travel back to school and eat dinner. Not much to say here except that the Georgia Tech Dining Staff know how to make a mean pasta salad.
  • 5:45 pm - 11 pm: There are usually some sessions in the evening. Today we had Opening Ceremonies and Wendy Kopp (the Founder and CEO) came to speak. I'd seen her speak at Harvard and she's always inspiring, but at the same time, I kind of wished I had been napping. But at this point in my life, I kind of always wish I were napping. No offense, Wendy! As the weeks progress and we get into actual teaching, I assume we'll burn the midnight oil doing lesson plans. The good news is that we're working in groups for a lot of it. The bad news is that none of us have ever planned a lesson before, so we're about as clueless as Cher Horowitz herself (to the old-timers reading this, many apologies for the thoroughly Gen X reference--or am I Gen Y? No one ever taught me this).
  • 11 pm - 5:30 am (for now): Sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat.
That's all I have time and energy for now. I need to skim these lovely tomes I've just picked up (including The Twits by Roald Dahl!) and--most importantly--I need to go to sleep.

If you're reading this, you're probably someone I love and miss very much. If I don't know you, you're kind of a creeper, but welcome nonetheless. To those of you who are postally inclined, please email me and I will send you my address here so you can send me lots of letters and pictures and all that good stuff.

For now, Miss McCallie out.

7 comments:

Clary said...

Anna-

Get used to waking up early. Oh, and it never really does get easier. Well, maybe that's just for me because on the days that I don't wake up at 4:30 (when working that is. Right now I wake up at noon) I still sleep in WAY too late and never get into a groove. Maybe you'll do better. Sunrises are totally overrated as well.
Anyway, I'm really pumped that you started a blog since you never return my calls. =) I miss you more than you know and I love you!

dmccallie said...

Anna,
What a nice "first post!" Please keep us informed on your progress towards becoming a teacher. We have as much to learn as you do!

Unknown said...

Anna Banana!

Oh Anna- I miss you so much. I forgot how fun and entertaining your banter is- especially when you do it with yourself. :) I love you so much. I'm so proud that you're becoming a teacher. I would be terrified (and like everything else) you just jump into it as if there was no other way to go about it. Good for you. That sounds like an exhausting schedule! I mean, I have an extermely difficult schedule myself- you know- being homeless, jobless, and friendless (well til Carly arrives, and til your life isn't insane. :) So, even thought my schedule is OBVIOUSLY more difficult than yours- I can still feel some sympathy. :p Good luck with everything. I am so glad you blogged! I feel like I understand it more and more. So, keep it up (but only if it's not causing you more sleep deprivation.) Thanks for keeping us posted. I love hearing about it! Have fun- and remember- with each early morning- you're changing the world! :) Good luck- and let me know the first chance I can visit you and bring you treats to gain your sanity back. I'm in NC starting Monday. Love you!!

Becca

®andy said...

Good to hear you're underway, despite it sounding like a summer basketball camp with no basketball. The mornings will get easier. Simply starve yourself the night before - thus making breakfast the following morning more appealing. I'd give that a 5% chance of working, but worth a shot.

And don't overlook the importance of detentions. Spread them thoroughly like salt on a tasteless chicken breast. I learned many a valuable lesson back in my day, smelling Mr. Caldwell reek of stale Marlboro Reds.

My wholesome advice stops there. Have fun. Keep posting.

gina.b said...

60 minutes calls us the Millenials, and Woods was quoted in this book called "Generation Me," if that helps.

anyway, I was watching Drumline yesterday and came in just when when the bus driver says "Morris Brown be smackin' that..." well, you know. And I missed everything about you very much. Keep doing what it do, baby boo, it's inspiring to us all!

Anonymous said...

So pleased you decided to blog. I may just join you even though I have a much less interesting life right now.
GINA! I also watched drumline the other day! oh and yeah...weird that I was quoted in that book...

ccs said...

MF,

I'm tired just reading your schedule.

5:30am...either I'm in a dining hall or a computer lab doing CS, or I'm looking at a trash can and/or toilet bowl. Discuss.

I've tried waking up at 6:30 this summer to beat traffic and to go to the gym. Success = 1 day.

Oh, and I've done some teaching, but I probably have no advice to give you because I walked into 99% of every CS section I taught without a plan. So I immediately wrote an "agenda" on the board to make it look like I thought things out and then began to rant and ask students questions.

I hope your 5th graders can read already. And if they can't, I hope you can teach them good skillz and how grammar works, and stuff. If you need any assistance with the English language (because you were NELC and all) Loren is in Korea and can be reached via skype. Maybe.

Real Life. Yikes bats!